Have you watched and adored the nature show “Is That Skunk?”? If you have, you would definitely be thinking whether skunks can be good as pet? So, here we are answering all your thoughts about having a skunk as a pet, it’s legalities and so on.
- 1 Can You Have A Skunk as A Pet?
- 2 Can Skunks be Good Pets?
- 3 How to Get a Pet Skunk?
- 4 Can You Legally have Skunks as a Pet?
- 4.1 Can you have a Pet Skunk in Texas?
- 4.2 Can you have a pet skunk in Colorado?
- 4.3 Can you have a pet skunk in Michigan?
- 4.4 Can you have a pet skunk in Minnesota?
- 4.5 Can you have a pet skunk in PA?
- 4.6 Can you have a pet skunk in Arizona?
- 4.7 Can you have a pet skunk in Utah?
- 4.8 Can you have a pet skunk in North Carolina?
- 4.9 Can you keep a skunk as a pet in California?
- 5 Other States That Would take Action for Owning Skunks as a Pet?
- 5.1 Is it legal to have a pet skunk in Massachusetts?
- 5.2 Is it legal to have a pet skunk in Georgia?
- 5.3 Is it legal to have a pet skunk in Oregon?
- 5.4 Is it legal to have a pet skunk in Missouri?
- 5.5 Is it legal to own a skunk in Louisiana?
- 5.6 Can you have a pet skunk in Wisconsin?
- 5.7 Can you have a pet skunk in Canada?
- 5.8 Can you have a pet skunk in Alberta?
- 5.9 Can you have a pet skunk in Nova Scotia?
- 6 Concluding Thoughts on Skunks as Pets
Whether skunks can be good pets, depends on what kind of skunk you chose. For instance, a skunk that you might have found in the wild can never be a good pet and cannot be domesticated. But, the domesticated skunks have been observed to be much loving and docile. However, keeping your skunk healthy can involve a lot of work, and you would perhaps need professional assistance for the purpose.
Can You Have A Skunk as A Pet?
Well, one can definitely have domesticated skunks as pets. They are definitely adorable and submissive to have. Just that, you should be ready to have them in your yard and be willing to take that extra trouble in raising them. If born and raised in captivity, they can be quite friendly and great pets.
A skunk can be quite playful and friendly and can definitely make a good pet. But, make sure that you don’t frighten or irritate them. Skunks are known to emit a foul-smelling chemical at the predators. Most of the pet shops that you might have got that adorable skunk may have ideally got those glands removed.
While skunks themselves can be easily domesticated if they have been raised in captivity and kept as pets, you may need to check out the local legislation to ensure that keeping a skunk as a pet is approved and legal in your region. While some areas have no issues with keeping it as a pet, a few others may want you to get a permit. We shall see the legalities in few regions in this post.
Now let us see, how to get a pet skunk for your yard.
How to Get a Pet Skunk?
If you think a skunk as a pet would be a good idea and ready for the care that it needs explicitly, we would definitely recommend it. But, the most challenging task would be to find one actually. One of the best options will perhaps be to check if there are any traders online. Of course, you may find the sites that feature the skunks quite rare enough; there should be a few good options available.
Before you can locate the breeder or skunk provider, it can be one of the best options to check if keeping a skunk is legal in your area. If it is legal, the next important aspect one needs to think about would be to find if you have the options for veterinary care in your area. Remember that your pet skunk would need veterinary attention from time to time. Even if not for any ailments, you would need veterinary assistance for vaccinations, and that should be one of the most important requirements you would need to opt for.
You can get a skunk that may be homeless from a pet shelter or rescue center. Such a homeless skunk may take a little time to get used to you, and you would perhaps need to go through an extra effort to get it friendly with you. If you are still wondering how to get a skunk, it may be a good idea to opt for a skunk adoption through a rescue center or skunk breeder and check out the network of the skunk owners who may be willing to sell or give away a few of the skunks that they own. You can even give a thought to checking out a few email or message groups that have been designed for the purpose. It may be a great idea to check out a few lists of groups created by pet lovers.
How to pick your Skunk? Well, Once you have decided from where you would want to get your first skunk from, it is high time you would want to check the skunk that you want to buy. There are a few factors you need to pay special attention to the skunk you are planning to pet.
- The skunk you pick should be alert and curious.
- A skunk is quite mischievous, and you should ensure that the skunk you want to buy should be in sync with this trait.
- A full shiny coat would be one of the strongest factors that would ensure that the skunk is healthy.
- You can check out a few kids to check if they are active.
- They should be curious about you, but should not get agitated.
- Any sign of lameness can be a sign of concern.
Well, now comes the legalities of having a skunk as a pet. Different countries have different laws regarding this. We shall highlight a few of them.
Can You Legally have Skunks as a Pet?
This is an area that we lightly touched upon while discussing the options of opting for a skunk as a pet. The skunks may or may not be allowed in certain regions depending upon the legal guidelines in force at the region. You may need to go through the legal obligations and other relevant aspects before you can finalise your choice of options for picking a skunk as a pet.
Let us check out a few regions and find if you can have a skunk as a pet in these regions.
Other States That Would take Action for Owning Skunks as a Pet?
Well, each of the states in the US has its own legal rules that govern keeping wild animals as pets. Apart from the United States, you would also find that a few areas in Canada that have specific guidelines governing the use of these animals as pets.
Concluding Thoughts on Skunks as Pets
Well, skunks can be something quite weird as a pet. This has indeed been a new trend just the way we have learned to pet a Chinchillas. Domesticated skunks are a unique species in themselves and have been observed to be quite rewarding most of the time. As with any delicate pet animal, you really need to take excellent care of them.
We just hope the details and info above should ideally help you find enough information on keeping skunks as pets. If it does that, we will find our work has been rewarded.
YardPals does not constitute pet medical advice, please consult a licensed veterinarian in your area for pet medical advice. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other such affiliate advertising programs, which helps us earn a small commission when you buy a product from our affiliate link.
- What Sound Does A Baby Skunk Make? #Skunk Telltales
- What Does Skunk Poop Look Like? Images & Identifications
- When Do Skunks Hibernate? #Amazing Facts
- When Do Skunks Have Babies? #FamilyTime
- What do Skunks like to Eat? #LoveForFood
- Do Skunks Kill #Chicken #Rabbits #Snake #Mice #Cats?
- Can You Have Skunk as a Good Pet? #Legalities
Bunny4 years ago
How to Get Rid of Mites on Rabbits? #NaturalRemedies #Video
Skunk3 years ago
What Does Skunk Poop Look Like? Images & Identifications
Bunny4 years ago
How Big Do Dwarf Bunnies Get? – Amazing Facts #Images
Horse3 years ago
How Much Weight Can a Horse Carry? #Clydesdale #Friesian #Mustang #Draft
Turtles4 years ago
How To Take Care of Turtle Egg At Home?
Turtles3 years ago
How to Take Care of Snapping Turtle Eggs? #Incubating #Hatching
Horse4 years ago
Difference Between Riding a Mule and a Horse
Turtles4 years ago
What Does Aquatic Turtles Eat? #Snacktime #LoveForFood