If you have a parakeet as a pet, you indeed need to know how can it adjust to a new home. In that case, one of the things you need to know is what to feed them. They are lively and curious to the core, and willing to experiment with practically everything that you treat them to. While that would rather be an easy option that makes it easy to take care of their dietary requirements, it should also be noted that you need to feed them those items that make them stay healthy and get balanced food.
- 1 What Vegetables Can Parakeets Eat?
- 2 What Fruits Do Parakeets Eat?
- 3 Some Occasional Special Treats For your Parakeet
- 4 Can parakeets eat strawberries?
- 5 Can parakeets eat peanut butter?
- 6 Can parakeets eat asparagus?
- 7 Can parakeets eat grapes?
- 8 Can parakeets eat bread?
- 9 Can parakeets eat apples?
- 10 Can parakeets eat tomatoes?
- 11 Can parakeets eat tomatoes?
- 12 Can parakeets eat carrots?
- 13 Can parakeets eat watermelon?
- 14 Can parakeets eat egg?
- 15 Can parakeets eat blueberries?
- 16 Can parakeets eat bananas?
- 17 Can parakeets eat celery?
- 18 Can parakeets eat cabbage?
- 19 Can parakeets eat cantaloupe?
- 20 Can parakeets eat cockatiel food?
- 21 Can parakeets eat sunflower seeds?
- 22 Can parakeets eat kiwi?
- 23 Can parakeets eat cheese?
- 24 Can parakeets eat honey?
- 25 Can parakeets eat parsley?
- 26 Can parakeets eat popcorn?
- 27 Can parakeets eat cauliflower?
- 28 Can parakeets eat cucumber?
- 29 Can parakeets eat pears?
- 30 What is Toxic to Parakeets?
- 31 Provide a Balanced Diet For Your Parakeet
- 32 Concluding Thoughts on Parakeet Diet
What can parakeets eat? A parakeet does eat seeds, pellet food, and a host of fruits and vegetables. They can eat a variety of fruits and vegetables that include green leafy vegetables such as kale and cabbage. Parakeets also eat some human food that includes eggs and chicken. Other worthy food additions for a parakeet can consist of foods rich in sugars and fat such as chocolate, avocado, apple seeds, and seeding grasses.
Having understood the overall eating habits of a parakeet, let us explore how you can plan the diet of your pet parakeet so that it gets access to balanced food and a proper diet.
What Vegetables Can Parakeets Eat?
Parakeets are fond of leafy vegetables. That would include broccoli leaflets, dark leafy green vegetables, and spinach. Other additions for a better degree of quality food to feed the parakeets would include chopped carrots, sweet potato, and other vegetables.
Vegetables tend to be great appetizers and should be an integral part of the parakeet diet. Kale and spinach have always been treated to be an essential part of a parakeet vegetable diet.
Some of the vegetables that you can feed your parakeet can include:
- Broccoli stems and florets
- Brussel sprouts
- Butternut squash
- Celery and its leaves
- Green lettuce
- Green peas
- Mustard greens
- Raw green beans
- Sweet potatoes and yams
What Fruits Do Parakeets Eat?
Fruits can be an excellent treat for your parakeet. However, you need to make sure that the fruits you feed them are highly nutrient. Any kind of fruit should be right enough for the parakeet. A few good fruits that your parakeet can eat include apples, tangerines, melons, bananas, and other tropical fruits.
A few good fruits that can be fed to a parakeet can include the following great options :
- Pomegranate seeds
- Banana skin
- Passion fruit
Some Occasional Special Treats For your Parakeet
The fruits and vegetables apart, sometimes even those little budgies need to be treated special like we humans want to. You can feed a few special treats as per your preferences. It can be one of the excellent options as a training reward. Do note that these treats can only be occasional.
Some good options that you can serve as the occasional treat to your parakeet can include:
- White rice
- Boiled egg
- Scrambled eggs
The parakeets in the wild may not like human food. However, the birds in captivity would love human food, albeit sparingly. However, make sure that you do not feed them human food to a higher extent.
These were a few food items parakeets can eat. Now, let us see what is not good for parakeet health.
What is Toxic to Parakeets?
There are a few food items that may be extremely toxic for the parakeets and may play havoc with its health. Foods like avocados, mushrooms, chocolate, and tomato leaves and stems have been considered to be highly toxic and should be fed quite sparingly. Seeds of many fruits such as apples and nectarines should only be fed only sparingly.
Some of the food items that can be toxic to the parakeet and thus should be avoided. They can include:
- Chocolates – Chocolates consist of theobromine and caffeine. An overdose of the chocolate can cause hyperactivity and an increased heart rate. It may even cause issues such as seizures, and even death.
- Avocado – Avocado consists of persin, which is a fungicidal toxin. It can cause serious concerns if consumed beyond a certain dose. It can cause heart damage, breathing difficulty and weakness
- Frit pits and Apple seeds – Apple seeds contain cyanide and have been observed to be dangerous if consumed beyond a certain dose. It holds good for the parakeets as well. A few other fruit pits such as cherry pits, plum pits, apricot pits, and peach pits also contain cyanide.
- A Few Plants – While fruits and vegetables like potatoes, peppers, and eggplants are good for birds, but the leaves and plant parts can be toxic to your parakeet. They can cause kidney problems.
A few other food items that you need to avoid would include coffee, caffeinated tea, alcohol, fried food, salty food, avocado, chocolate, and dairy products.
Provide a Balanced Diet For Your Parakeet
It would be advisable to provide a balanced food for your parakeet to keep it in a better health condition. Forming a perfect balance with commercial food and a host of natural food can prove to be effective and efficient in ensuring better health for your parakeet.
Experts claim that the seeds should form not more than 10 percent of the total diet. They are known to offer not many nutritional elements. A significant portion of the diet should ideally contain pellets. That would provide a better degree of nutrients and vitamins. Make sure that you serve fruits and vegetables at least every alternate day while feeding them every day would be more practical. Fruits provide antioxidants and vitamins that may not be available through pellets.
Occasional special treats should only be served only sparingly. Once or twice a week should be enough. They are just a means of adding variety to your parakeet’s diet. They may not be extremely necessary for the health of your pet.
Well, these are all the eating habits of the parakeets, what is good for health, and what is toxic for them. Also, we have tried to provide you with a balanced diet for parakeets. Now, let us conclude our thoughts.
Concluding Thoughts on Parakeet Diet
Well, parakeets are cute bird varieties, and you would indeed find them one of the excellent options for keeping as pets. One of the much emotional birds, parakeets can be a worthy experience. Just that you need to be well versed in their living habits regarding what they eat or their sleeping habits and much more.
However, unless you are aware of what to feed to your parakeets, the bird keeping would not be fruitful. We assume the tips in this post should help you pick the best options on how to feed your feathered friend.
YardPals does not constitute pet medical advice, please consult a licensed veterinarian in your area for pet medical advice. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other such affiliate advertising programs, which helps us earn a small commission when you buy a product from our affiliate link.
- How to Get the Parakeets Bond with You? Practical Tips
- What are the Signs of Budgie Dying? #Stress #Loneliness #Naturally
- How to Keep Area Around the Bird Cage Clean? The Unusual Hacks
- How Long Does it Take for Parakeet Eggs to Hatch? #Fertile #Incubator
- Why Won’t My Parakeet Stop Chirping? #Reasons#Solutions
- How to Bathe a Parakeet? #Bathing Facts
- Do You Have To Cover Your Parakeet At Night? #Darkness Effects
- What Can Parakeets Eat? #Berries #Peanut Butter #Bread #Honey #Popcorn
- How Long Does it Take for a Parakeet to Adjust to a New Home?
- How do Parakeets Sleep? #BedTime Facts of Budgies
- Parakeets Breeding & Mating # All that You Need to Know
Bunny2 years ago
How to Get Rid of Mites on Rabbits? #NaturalRemedies #Video
Bunny2 years ago
How Big Do Dwarf Bunnies Get? – Amazing Facts #Images
Horse1 year ago
How Much Weight Can a Horse Carry? #Clydesdale #Friesian #Mustang #Draft
Turtles2 years ago
How To Take Care of Turtle Egg At Home?
Horse2 years ago
Difference Between Riding a Mule and a Horse
Turtles2 years ago
What Does Aquatic Turtles Eat? #Snacktime #LoveForFood
Bunny2 years ago
Why Do Rabbits Shake? – Amazing Facts
Turtles2 years ago
Different Sea/Aquatic & Land Turtles That Stay Small