Turtles spent most of the time underwater. However, they do need heat to stay healthy. The most important thing being UV rays which help to improve metabolism, regulate the mood, or produce vitamin D3 which is essential to make their bones and other organs strong. These UV rays can be obtained by exposing the turtle to natural sunlight or UV bulbs. This process is called basking.
However, they need to have a dry platform when they are basking. Thus, we create artificial platforms for the turtles to bask. There are rocks and various artificial platforms available in the market. Here are a few basking rocks for turtles.
- 1 8 Basking Rocks/ Platforms for Turtles
- 1.1 LaBrinx Hanging Ramp – Aquatic Turtle Basking Platform
- 1.2 Penn Plax Turtle Tank Topper – Basking Platform for Turtle Aquariums
- 1.3 Zilla Basking Ramp
- 1.4 Penn Plax Turtle Basking Platform
- 1.5 Turtle Dock – Basking Area for Turtles
- 1.6 Exo Terra Turtle Bank Magnetic Floating Island
- 1.7 Creation Core Large Turtle Pier Reptile Basking Platform
- 1.8 Reptile Basking Platform Tortoise Rock Plate
- 2 Why Do Turtles Bask?
- 3 Why Is My Turtle Not Basking?
- 4 How Long Do Turtles Bask?
- 5 How Hot Should A Turtle Basking Area Be?
- 6 What Happens If The Turtle Doesn’t Bask?
- 7 Concluding Thoughts on Turtle Basking
8 Basking Rocks/ Platforms for Turtles
Well, when you get a pet turtle, you need to take care of the ambiance and necessities for them. Basking is one of the essential activities for turtles. For, that you need to provide your little turtle with a basking platform.
We would like to make it easier for you, by giving you some best options for turtle basking.
LaBrinx Hanging Ramp – Aquatic Turtle Basking Platform
Penn Plax Turtle Tank Topper – Basking Platform for Turtle Aquariums
Zilla Basking Ramp
Penn Plax Turtle Basking Platform
Turtle Dock – Basking Area for Turtles
Exo Terra Turtle Bank Magnetic Floating Island
Creation Core Large Turtle Pier Reptile Basking Platform
Reptile Basking Platform Tortoise Rock Plate
These few options are the best basking rocks or platforms for the turtles. The not only add to the beauty of the turtle tanks but also provide them with natural habitat for their living. Now, let us see a few more facts on turtle basking.
These were the few reasons, why turtles bask. However, if your turtle is not basking it might be a matter of concern. Let us know why a turtle is not basking?
Why Is My Turtle Not Basking?
There can be several reasons for why your turtle is not basking. Let us list a few of them:
- If your turtle is new to your home, wherein it has come from its natural habitat away from its friends, it may take time to adjust. It may be scared of new ambiance and people around and thus the turtle would not bask.
- If the turtle is pregnant, it might not bask due to its health and discomfort. You need to let them have their own space.
- If the turtle is stressed with high volumes or improper handling, it might get scared and uncomfortable in which case it will not bask.
- The basking area might be overheated which can cause burns on turtle shells. So, if the basking area is too hot, they might not bask.
- A turtle needs comfortable access to the basking area like it should have a proper ramp to climb the basking spot. Also, it should not be slippery and the top should be spacious enough as per the turtle’s size to bask on.
After knowing these few reasons, you may give the turtle time, treats of what they like to eat, and all other possible comforts to adjust and start basking. Still, if it doesn’t, it is a matter of concern and you may need to consult a vet.
What Happens If The Turtle Doesn’t Bask?
If a turtle does not bask in the sunlight or UV lamps, it would not get the required amount of heat for its shell and also it won’t be able to maintain the temperature of the body. It would reduce the metabolism of their body. Also, they might not be able to dry themselves and may be prone to fungal infections.
If the turtle doesn’t bask for a prolonged period and also you are not aware of the reasons of the same, you ought to visit a vet to know what is wrong with your turtle. Your turtle may be going through some severe health issues which you need to detect very well in time.
Concluding Thoughts on Turtle Basking
By now we know, which are a few best basking platforms for the turtles. Also, we saw certain facts of why the turtles bask and why don’t they and so on and forth. Basking is very important for the health of a turtle. For this, a perfect turtle tank not just needs basking platforms but also many options like water heaters, UVB lamps, so on and so forth. We shall see them all in detail.
Hope you get the best basking platform for your turtle and provide them with natural habitat. For any suggestions and improvements write to us in the comments section below.
YardPals does not constitute pet medical advice, please consult a licensed veterinarian in your area for pet medical advice. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other such affiliate advertising programs, which helps us earn a small commission when you buy a product from our affiliate link.
- What to do with a Dead Turtle? #CPR #PreserveShell #Rituals
- How to Preserve Turtle Shell #Clean #BestWays #Decompose #Legal
- 6 Best Automatic Turtle Feeder / Food Dispenser – Ultimate Buying Guide
- 8 Basking Rocks/ Platforms for Turtles – A Perfect Guide
- 7 Best Submersible Water Heater for Turtle Tanks – Ultimate Buying Guide
- What Do Baby Snapping Turtles Eat? #Fish #Duck
- What do Baby Painted Turtles Eat? #Plants #Insects #Wild
- How Do You Know When a Turtle is Dying #Signs
- How to Take Care of Snapping Turtle Eggs? #Incubating #Hatching
- What Do Land Turtles Eat? #Grapes #Bread #Shrimp #Tomatoes
- How to Know If a Turtle Is Happy? #Gratify Your Turtle #Playtime
- How Do Turtles Breathe? #Through Their Butts #Underwater #In Winter
- 26 Types of Turtles in Georgia #Laws in Georgia
- Turtle vs Tortoise (Facts You All Would Want to Know)
- Which Animals Eat Turtles?
- Best Time & Place to See Turtles in Hawaii #O’ahu #Maui #Kauai
- Different Sea/Aquatic & Land Turtles That Stay Small
- What Does Aquatic Turtles Eat? #Snacktime #LoveForFood
- How To Take Care of Turtle Egg At Home?
Skunk3 years ago
What Does Skunk Poop Look Like? Images & Identifications
Bunny4 years ago
How to Get Rid of Mites on Rabbits? #NaturalRemedies #Video
Bunny4 years ago
How Big Do Dwarf Bunnies Get? – Amazing Facts #Images
Horse3 years ago
How Much Weight Can a Horse Carry? #Clydesdale #Friesian #Mustang #Draft
Turtles4 years ago
How To Take Care of Turtle Egg At Home?
Turtles3 years ago
How to Take Care of Snapping Turtle Eggs? #Incubating #Hatching
Horse4 years ago
Difference Between Riding a Mule and a Horse
Turtles4 years ago
What Does Aquatic Turtles Eat? #Snacktime #LoveForFood